07 May 2007

How'd he do it?



I suppose enough time has passed that I can honestly blog without feeling like I was holding back. See, Tim and I got engaged on April 26th. Yeah, yeah, I can hear the congratulations through the airwaves. Of course, most of my students sent me emails that said, "CONGRADULATIONS"...goddman, what are they teaching those kids in the public schools?

Anyways...we haven't settled on a date yet. we are thinking may of 2008. how is that for advance warning. so its tough being a feminist who is planning a wedding. hell, it was difficult being a feminist trying to negotiate an engagement. it was even worse trying to plan it with two feminists. and we figured our way...a way that we felt still had the traditions that our family, friends, etc. would be asking for....but added our own way.

we both bought each other engagement gifts. we stuck with an engagement ring for me...and tim's was more difficult. men's rings are UGLY and TACKY....so we opted for an antique wristwatch for him. we proposed to one another out on the beach with some champagne. people seem really resistant to this idea. they don't understand how you can propose to one another. and after "lemme see the ring", the second question is..."how did HE do it?"

its interesting to me the types of traditions that are so difficult for people to let go of. so i'm thinking of writing a book (a wedding book...so i can make some real money!)...but one that demonstrates how hard it may be to negotiate an engagement and wedding, while maintaining your dignity and values. its going to be an interesting year.

the next big issue is about walking me down the aisle. hell, i don't know if there will be an aisle (which most of my students spell ISLE)...but i sure as hell know that i'm 31 years old and i'm sort of resistant to the idea of someone walking me down the aisle or giving me away. i know, it sounds bitchy...but i gotta draw some lines.

so i'll keep you updated.

i'm in vacation mode right now. the semester finally ended. i'm so pleased. i'm moving on to planning for my summer and fall classes. i think that staying home all day is right up my alley...except that i start wanting a beer at 3:00pm. wait, that's right now.

you should check out the new feist album. its awesome.


ps. my neighbor just checked his mail...he is wearing shorts, flip flops, and a shirt that has 3 buttons un-done...yeah, its a bit cooler than usual here.

1 comment:

Not-Yet Stephanie Mari said...

when my little sister first started working as a cake decorator, she accidentally made a cake that said "Congradulations!" And the cake-buyer brought it back, all angry and whatnot. I would have DIED.