05 February 2008

Plotting her escape...

i'm not sure if i've mentioned it or not, but i applied to doctoral programs for the fall of 2008. three places. vanderbilt. emory. and uva. it became part of my master plan to get away from myrtle beach. i mean, myrtle beach...we've had our good times, our bad times...but seriously, i need a little space.

regardless, today i heard from vanderbilt. i got accepted. i will be given an excellent package, if i choose this particular school. i've still got two more to hear from...so i'm not jumping to any conclusions. what if another school offers to give me a phd without having to attend? i'd probably take them up on that.

with that being said, it was the first time that i realized with assurance that i would be leaving the beach. regardless of whether or not the other schools want me, i have a place to go. i have a place that expects to see me in august. i scrolled through the current graduate students names wondering which one will be barnshaw? which one will be mike? which one will be my ewing?

on my daily walk on the beach, i sort of felt the joy and nostalgia of leaving a place. i looked out at the ocean and thought i'll miss it. when i arrived at school today and informed the department of my early news...they all were so very excited. they hugged me. they were proud. and i thought, yep, i'll miss it.

"And I
Never thought I'd feel this way
And as far as I'm concerned I'm glad I got the chance to say
That I do believe I love you
And if I should ever go away
Well then close your eyes and try to feel the way we do today
And then if you can't remember...

Keep smilin'
Keep shinin'
Knowin' you can always count on me
for sure
That's what friends are for
In good times
And bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for"

No comments: