27 September 2008

I call this chapter "getting perspective"...



Despite the fact that my calendar is filled with numerous appointments, classes, meetings, and homework, I'm trying to learn how to gain perspective in my life. I've been sleeping less than normal lately, trying to catch up on school work and actually manage to maintain a normal life. A life that contains not only an academic training, but also a social life. I desire to ask everyone who has gone through this same experience, is it possible? Particularly the first semester.

Instead of questioning it, the first few weeks, I've surrendered to the life of school from 6 in the morning until midnight. I barely make time for anything else. Tonight, I decide to make some time for socializing, which I incredibly enjoyed. I needed it.

On my way home from the evening, I realized I'm starting to feel at home in Nashville. I saw this one particular sign which always indicates to me I'm almost home and it felt like that...home. This is good. I'm happy about this.

But after arriving home and checking my (school) email, I was informed that one of my students received a call this morning that her brother was killed in a car accident. It was forwarded to me from the professor I'm working for with the message, "awful"...and it is. It caught me off guard. I was expecting some information about school. I was expecting some instruction for the following week. And it was then, I realized my priorities have been all out of wack. I've given into the pressures of graduate school and carelessly forgotten EVERYTHING else.

And it was then I thought, I need some perspective. I need to remember my real priorities. I mean, school is school. There are expectations, but there are other things in my life that are far more important than a document citing the papers I've read, written, contributed to...and it was then I felt guilty. Guilty because I'm not sure how to re-prioritize and still enable myself to be successful in all the ways I hope. Though, I'm certainly realizing that I need to think about what is important. Finishing my paper and my presentation and my research is certainly important within a certain world. But this isn't the only world. This isn't all that there is...so I'm hoping to in the next week find a careful balance between expectations and my desires, all the while remembering the things that are most important to me.

No comments: