05 January 2009

I resolve


















Since the new year, I've been thinking on the idea of resolutions. I don't know why I feel compelled to think about them or to even attempt to compile a list, but every year I make an attempt. To be honest (a resolution?), I didn't start on New Years. Rather, I spent New Years Day rather horizontal- and no, not like that. I could barely move. I had a rather fun celebration the night before and pretty much ended up out of commission for about 36 hours. Alas, I thought on making a resolution that involved not drinking too much and playing with fireworks- but who am I kidding?

Then today, it dawned on me that I don't necessarily need resolutions regarding my year- but as Day One of my second semester at school rolls around, I thought I might need resolutions in regards to how I spend my next four months.

One, I resolve to actually cook and eat food during the semester. I will not simply pour my food from a can or box or bag. I will take the time to sit down and enjoy a good meal, regardless of how difficult or busy my semester gets.

Two, I resolve to do a better job of keeping in touch with friends and family, regardless of how the next four months happen. This includes Tim and the cats, as many days passed where I think I barely spoke to them or acknowledged their shared experience in my home.

Three, I resolve to spend more time in the city that is Nashville, instead of the holy temple that is Garland Hall. During the break, I made a visit to the art museum. I need to do this more. I need to venture out into the community.

Four, I resolve to take both an art and dance class. I planned this last semester and it didn't pan out. I refuse to allow myself to get too busy and forget that there are other enjoyable things in the world besides statistics.

Five, and lastly, I resolve to have fun. I know this seems like an odd resolution- and vague at that- but when the thick of the semester arrives, fun is a luxury. Going out with friends to talk about music or watching Old School and drinking beer seems like the last priority on a list of a thousand priorities.

No comments: