01 November 2006

Is it worth it?



yes, halloween. i dressed up. besides feeling the spirit, i also didn't want ANYONE (read: Morty) to think that i'm an old biddy! seriously, i got moved by the halloween party. if you can't tell...tim was castro and i relied on my old tried and true "dead prom queen" outfit. we had a great time. it was a block party, so there were 3 different houses involved. there were many highlights:
1) the pirate house (included the real johnny depp, no kidding)
2) "tool man" tim's stories about home improvement
3) that guy running around with moonshine
4) karoke with live music

what else...so i had a few things happen this week that made me realize why i teach...and sometimes why its a hard job. in one of my classes (after lecturing on politics, economics and corporations), one of my students approached me asking where he could find out more about voting.

i always try to drive home the point that i want my students to vote...and it just made me so happy that someone actually gave a shit. that maybe i'm reaching some of them and encouraging them to become involved. to make a difference. (let me have my moment...don't judge me).

then at the high school class, one of my students came up to me and said, "ms. everhart, you are my coolest teacher. seriously." hahhaha. again, no wonder i think so highly of myself.

then tonight at my university class, one of my students said (as i lectured on drugs and alcohol...which makes me often feel like a "hack") "i know this girl, who is pregnant and she smokes marijuana and she said that she smokes it because it'll make her child more imaginative...is that true?" hahahahhahaha. yes. funny stuff.

but then...the sad part. one of my students copied and pasted his f'en assignment off of wikipedia. i called him on it, but gave him the opportunity to re-do his assignment. he had a bit of an attitude about it, but actually did the assignment again. there was something fishy about it....in that one line refers to the author of the paper as "we" the women...so i looked it up...and he copied it from a swedish feminist's speech at a convention!!!

i'm off to charlotte this weekend. i can't wait to see: koch, eric, allan, mom, taylor, jennie ann, walt, tim l., pruden, dad, ashley, and dayne. other than that...it'll be stressful. oh yeah, i get to see my favorite rowan student, valya. i'm sure there will be more later...

No comments: