23 July 2007

please please please let me let me let me...




overall, a good week. i spent some time down in charlotte for a few days. the day before, i finally bought an ipod. yes, it pains me that i felt the desire to spend that much money on a piece of entertainment...it also pains me that it was probably made through some form of slave labor...but goddamn, i love it. i have all my music and pictures on it. this made for a much more enjoyable drive down.

let's summarize...i met one of my mentors from graduate school for happy hour. it was nice to talk with someone who understands my ideas about teaching, engagement rings, and research...i also had some drinks with jennie ann and ellen...always a good time. i also met (as you can see above) stephanie and eric for drinks. we had a great time at MADD DOG! Again, its wonderful to sit and discuss issues with people who are brilliant and can give me ideas and suggestions....whether its our farm in canada or our farm baby! i also had a good time hanging with the family. my mom is always so amazing.

I also came to the conclusion there are two things that i would like to accomplish...at which point in time, i would feel that i "arrived" as an "academic" (using that word in a loose way). for one, i want to coin a term...and for two, i would like to be called by npr to comment on something.

on saturday, i taught my last telecourse class in concord. then rapidly drove back to the beach...as morrissey was playing one mile from my house. driving into myrtle beach on a saturday afternoon is an awful idea. i got stuck in traffic about 1 hour outside of the beach, so i turned around to take a back way...i was happily driving along (with my ipod) for an hour or so...and i ran into more traffic. it was unavoidable.

after 5.5 hours of driving, i finally arrived. i was greeted by tim and tim returning from the beach with a wonderful new bocce ball set. the three of us had a fish fry before heading out to the morrissey show (shhh. don't tell morrissey). the show was excellent. he slayed me when he played please please please let me get what i want...and of course, girlfriend in a coma. it was an excellent show.

the rest of the night was fun. it was somewhat of a blur. but surprisingly, i woke up feeling great.

i just finished watching the democratic youtube debate. very interesting. tomorrow, i'm going to see john edwards in georgetown. he'll be at the steelworkers hall...and i'm so very excited. i've heard he is a very inspiring speaker and he'll be talking about minimum wage. i'll give you more details tomorrow or so...

and oh yeah, its sabine's birthday. she had some tuna. she loved it. she's a bit of a messy eater.

1 comment:

Not-Yet Stephanie Mari said...

thankfully, you can't see the label on that beer bottle. my reputation would never recover!