30 July 2007

"Suddenly I didn't know if I had dreamt things, or if they existed..." -Bergman















Ingmar Bergman passed today, at the age of 89. The picture is from Scenes from a Marriage, which is one of my favorites.

Tim sent me this Woody Allen quote earlier about Allen seeing a Bergman film when he was a teenager...

"Less than ennobling was the motive for seeing my first Ingmar Bergman movie. The facts were these: I as a teenager living in Brooklyn, and word had got around that there was a Swedish film comign to our local foreign film house in which a young woman swam completely naked. Rarely have I slept overnight on the curb to be the first on line for a movie, but when "Summer With Monika" opened at the Jewel in Flatbush, a young boy with red hair and black-rimmed glasses could be seen clubbing senior citizens to the floor in an effort to insure the choicest, unobstructed seat."

No comments: