03 August 2008

The End of the Bucket List

So, what happened with the bucket list? How did it all end up? Honestly, with packing and coordinating moving 10 hours away...some of the list fell away. I didn't play mini-golf. I didn't ride the pirate ship. And believe it or not, but I didn't perform karaoke. That doesn't mean I didn't rock out to some karaoke though.

What other items did I complete?














I had planned a trip to the Raw Barrrr. It was my amended #8. It shouldn't have been amended. I'm pretty sure that a meal at the taqueria would have been much more fulfilling. Tim and I did have one drink at the raw barrr. It was awful. See, the raw bar is located next door to a huge restaurant called the Giant Crab. The Giant Crab is one of those huge calabash type restaurants that generally allows tourists of all sizes and shapes to pay some astronomical price for "all-you-can-eat." Then you proceed to stuff yourself with various fried fish delights. The odd thing about these places is that they also have other items on the buffet, like chicken wings. Seeing as I don't partake in eating most of these delicacies from just about anywhere but the local area- the raw bar was no treat. It smelled of leftover fried food. The stench is apparent from pulling into the parking lot- or perhaps that is the smell of neighboring McDonalds. The bar itself is filthy. There are tons of tourists stuffing themselves around us. They sit eating crab leg after crab leg, while remarking how great it is to eat food from the nearby ocean. We made our way through one drink before leaving for a much more favorable bar, namely Rockefellers.













And yes, we did make our way to the lovely karaoke night with Cheryl Z at Pat and Mike's in Little River. Tim and I found ourselves at this establishment during our stint at the beach, while he was reviewing the restaurant. We were originally annoyed by sitting right in the middle of a huge karaoke fest, but after a couple of drinks- we were pleasantly surprised with the talent that was featured. So, I decided if I was to EVER perform karaoke- it would be this place. Our last Sunday in town, Tim, Patrick and I drove out to Little River with the hopes of performing. I had decided in advance that I wanted to perform Handle with Care by The Traveling Wilburys. I thought it featured plenty of parts for the three of us. Unfortunately, Cheryl Z did not have this number in her thousands and thousands of hits to pick from. So, I opted out. I wasn't prepared for anything else. And, I wasn't drunk enough for anything else. This left Patrick to perform, though Tim was still considering it up until the last moment.




















Patrick performed The Beatles' Ticket to Ride, which was awesome. The crowd loved it and he did a great job. I must say when he finished, I was a bit jealous and wished I had pulled it together for an impromptu performance. Though, I'm pretty sure that I made a pact with Patrick that we would perform karaoke in Nashville, when he visits.















Overall, the bucket list was a great idea. It made my last month in Myrtle Beach distracting. Perhaps I came up with the bucket list to avoid dealing with any emotion of loss or grief for leaving the place I wanted to leave for the last year. Not to mention, saving the option of mini-golf for another time just ensures that I'll make my way to the beach sometime in the near future.

No comments: