06 February 2007

Wait, Snowbirds?



I'm right in the middle of a LOST obsession. I can't help. I can't think about anything else. Even as I watched Prison Break last night, I kept thinking...does Scofield know Jack? Who would win in a fight Sarah or Kate?

Last weekend was fun...and unfortunately it is over and its the beginning of a new week.

I'm going to omit any mention of LOST...which also means I'm not discussing Friday night. (ha)

Saturday, Tim and I did some antique shopping. Then we had dinner at this lovely restaurant in MB proper on Ocean. Its called Sea Captains. It was very lovely. I had some grilled chicken with crab meat and asparagus. Yes, I ate asparagus. Its unbelievable, I know. The funny part to me was that as Tim and I were seated in the dining room, I looked around and we were the youngest folks there by about 30 to 40 years.

There was a lovely couple sitting directly next to us. It was an older man and woman. From the bits and pieces I could pick up from eavesdropping (as I'm apt to do...it fuels my imagination), it appeared that they were "friends". Old friends. They both played basketball in high school and college. They were telling personal stories about Bobby Knight. Regardless, there was something very sweet, very melancholic about their interaction. When they got up to leave, she reached for her coat...and he helped her put it on.

Of course, this fueled an entire conversation about stereotypes of the elderly. But hey, I'm a sociologist. I can't help it.

After that lovely dinner, Tim and I decided to stop by our local watering hole...Rockefellers. That's right. its official....we have our local bar. I knew this for sure....when we walked in and the bartender/owner yelled hello to us and brought us some drinks. Its a really cool little place. There are captain chairs surrounding the bar. They have a decent jukebox. And the bartenders aren't "carrying" pistols and drugs (sorry...i had to make a joke at the expense of the bad dumb luck that has befallen Charlotte bars).

So, what was up for Sunday? You heard me, Superbowl Sunday. We watched the big game at Dan and Mandy's house. Always a joy. Particularly their little girl Mia, who I had the pleasure of playing a little baseball with. Okay, I threw her some bad pitches and she almost hit them.

Watching football is awkward for me. I have no idea what is going on. I never learned ANYTHING about the game. So, I sat there staring at the screen...completely and utterly confused. And the commercials weren't that great! Most importantly, I got to spend a sunday evening with some good friends, eating good food, and drinking good beer.

Today: School

More to report later.

No comments: