07 January 2007

The last few days...


It's the last few days of my vacation before I head back to classes. At first I was looking forward to my "new beginnings", but now I could use a few more weeks. See..I started out my vacation preparing for the next semester, shopping, and winter cleaning (yes, i prefer winter cleaning, instead of spring cleaning). Regardless, I've finally made it to the phase of true vacation and now it's time to go back...

So, Tim is in "deviltown" working on his masters degree. I am spending most of my time with cinema and libations. Speaking of libations, Tim and I had dinner at the famous Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant here in MB. And apparently, libations to them...only include soda, water, and coffee. Someone should tell Vic Chesnutt.

"like a little vacation. like a little song that I want to hear. like a big libation. like a flattering sentence whispered in my ear. that's what i want. everytime i try what i'm trying for. why don't we have a little symposium. where everybody takes the floor, yeah. like a scenic vista. like a long awaited chemical buzz." -vic chesnutt

*and apparently a "libation" is the act of pouring of a drink offering to the earth, like on the ground...funny stuff.

wait, wait...i lost my train of thought. oh yes, i decided to watch some movies tonight. i watched little miss sunshine. which by the way was fantastic. if you haven't, see it. there was one scene in particular that struck me. it reference proust (as pictured above). I had given up on Swann's Way, but now I'm feeling somewhat inspired to perhaps begin agan. I thought I'd read Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow next...but maybe I'll wait (not to mention, I was lost within the first three pages).

what is on my agenda for tomorrow?

i'm suppose to check out the high school where I'll be teaching this semester, make copies of my syllabi, etc...but at this point in the evening, I sort of just feel like drinking some beverages, listening to music, and pretending that the semester doesn't start yet..

Here is the scene from Little Miss Sunshine...

Dwayne: "Sometimes I just wish I could go to sleep until I was 18 and skip all this crap, high school and everything, just skip it."

Frank: "You know Marcel Proust?"

Dwanye: "He's the guy you teach?"

Frank: "Yeah. French writer. Total loser. Never had a real job. Unrequited love affairs. Gay. Spent 20 years writing a book almost no one reads. But he's also probably the greatest writer since Shakespeare. Anyway, he, uh- he gets down to the end of his life and he looks back and decides that all those years he suffered- Those were the best years of his life, 'cause they made him who he was. All the years he was happy? You know, total waste. Didn't learn a thing. So, if you sleep until you're 18, ah, think of the suffering you're gonna miss. I mean, high school? High school- Those are your prime suffering years. You don't get better suffering than that."

Dwayne: "You know what? Fuck beauty contests. Life is one fucking beauty contest after another. You know, school, then college, then work? Fuck that. You do what you love and fuck the rest."


I'll keep you updated, because another thing I'll be doing during my "true" vacation is updating my hardly-ever read narcissistic blog.
"I was born into the Hebrew persuasion, but when I got older I converted to narcissism." -Woody Allen from Scoop

ah, sigh...(that's a dot dot dot to you)

No comments: